How did Mrs. Butterworth impact the community?
The second floor of the Butterworths’ home originally consisted of one staff room, a sewing room, the master bedroom, Mr. Butterworth’s wardrobe, and guest rooms. During a second renovation in 1925, the guestroom known today as the Green Room was added. In 1956, when the Butterworths’ home opened as a civic center under the direction of the William Butterworth Foundation, all second-floor rooms became meeting spaces for not-for-profit organizations. Mr. Butterworth’s personal bathroom was converted into a kitchen where groups could prepare and serve refreshments for their members.