Kitchen and Butler’s pantry:
You Are Here
Before 1909, the staff side of the Butterworths’ home included a small kitchen and a narrow butler’s pantry, where the staff prepared meals for the family and guests, just west of the dining room. The first kitchen included a utility room, pantry, and icebox. In 1909, both rooms were moved to their current location during a renovation of the living room that also shifted the formal dining room, butler’s pantry, and kitchen toward the west. After the 1909 renovations, the kitchen doubled in size, and three windows were added along the south wall, providing a welcome cross-ventilation. After Mrs. Butterworth’s death, the windows were removed during another renovation, the addition of the staff apartment located on the southwest corner of the home.
Notice that woodwork in the staff rooms is characterized by a lack of detail, in contrast to the more elaborate woodwork in the family and guest rooms. Woodwork in the kitchen and butler’s pantry is also plain, and door frames are either painted or covered in varnish. This less ornate style of woodwork is visible throughout the staff rooms on first, second, and third floors.
Butler's pantry sink
Made in Germany, the unique divided sink is a trademark style of the “German Silver Sink” brand. German silver is made from a combination of copper, nickel, and zinc. This sink model was designed specifically to wash crystal and china and was most commonly found in a butler’s pantry.
The grill hood was installed between 1922 and 1925 by the Davenport Metal Specialty Company, a manufacturer of restaurant, cafeteria, and soda fountain equipment for hotels. The business was founded by local brothers Fred and Albert Uchtdorff; after three years, however, Albert left the company and Fred founded Uchtdorff and Wieser Company, which was later called the Uchtdorff Company. During World War II, the Uchtdorff workforce was made up of one-third women, who worked up to 60 hours a week. These workers were part of the female war effort movement called “the soldiers in the production of freedom.”
Staff dining room
Butterworth Center staff seated in the staff dining room
The staff dining and sitting rooms, where the staff ate meals and waited to be called for work, were located left of the kitchen. Also, on the staff side was their own entrance to the elevator and staircase, which the staff used to move guest luggage quietly without disturbing the family and guests.