Welcome to Hillcrest
The home of Katherine and William Butterworth. In 1892, Katherine Deere, grand-daughter of John Deere, married William Butterworth and this house was built as a wedding gift by her parents, Mary and Charles Deere. The original house was much smaller and looked significantly different from what you see today. The Butterworth’s had no children and chose to expand their home for the purpose of entertaining, filling it with fine furniture, art, and music. The Butterworth’s attitude of philanthropy, community involvement, and wish to bring culture into the Quad Cities led to the establishment of the William Butterworth Foundation, which maintains the house today. Come explore what life was like for one of Moline’s most influential families.
1892 Hillcrest is commissioned
Hillcrest is commissioned by Charles Deere as a wedding present for his daughter Katherine and her new husband William Butterworth. The Queen Anne style house is designed by architect J. F. Alexander & Son of Lafayette, Indiana.
1909 First large-scale renovation
The first major changes to the house are made by Otis & Clark out of Chicago. The former dining and living rooms are combined into one large large living. An organ and sunken music room are added along with an octagonal south porch. The former butler's pantry and prep kitchen becomes the new dining room, the former main kitchen becomes the butler's pantry, and an addition to the west includes a new larger kitchen with extra storage space. The service area in the northwest corner of the house is altered to include both a sitting room and dining room for the staff. In the lower level, the Oak Room is expanded, adding the Billiard and Card rooms. The service and storage spaces are built, including a laundry room
1917 Second large-scale renovation
The Chicago-based firm of Marshall & Fox make alterations to the lower level and first floor. The original library in the northeast corner is absorbed into an expanded entrance hall. The most significant additions are to the north of the house and include the new porte-cochere and a large octagonal library, designed around a recently purchased ceiling fresco. Stucco replaces the original wood framed exterior.
The entrance to the second floor French Room is realigned with the third floor staircase. The smaller middle and southeast bedrooms are converged into one large master bedroom. The updates are overseen by Moline native, architect Oscar Eckerman.
The Living Room, Dining Room, and Butler's Pantry are expanded to the south, again under Eckerman’s supervision. On the second floor, a guest suite (Green Room) is added on the west side above the kitchen. A silver vault is installed in the storage room in the lower level.