The “Green Room”
The Green Room was added in 1925 as a guest room. The Adamesque style fireplace mantel was designed by Jackson & Company. The marble hearth, lined in soapstone, is also a typical Adamesque design. Of particular interest, the room’s furniture, shown in the 1950s photo, won a prize for design at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago.
The Green Room as it appeared in the 1950s
The certificates along the wall leading to the Green Room are various organization membership certificates of Mrs. Butterworth, who remained committed to community involvement throughout her lifetime. She participated in several organizations, including the Colonial Dames of America, The Mayflower Society, the New England Historic Genealogical society, and the National Society of New England Women. Her legacy of community service continues today through the outreach of the William Butterworth Foundation.
The Green Room Today